Mary Elizabeth Berry 1 2
- Born: Abt 1829, , Madison, Kentucky, USA 1 3
- Died: 30 May 1915, Brassfield, Madison, Kentucky, USA about age 86 3 4
- Buried: 31 May 1915, Richmond, Madison, Kentucky, USA 5
Another name for Mary was Mary E Berry.1 2
Noted events in her life were:
• Census, 8 Nov 1850, , Madison, Kentucky, USA. 6
District 3, Madison County, KY., 8 Nov 1850, page , Lines 14-23
line 14 - James Berry, age 47, m, Farmer, Madison
line 15 - Emily, age 40, f, Madison
line 16 - Mary, age 21, f, Madison
line 17 - James, age 20, m, Madison
line 18 - Laura, age 14, Madison
line 19 - William, age 13, m, Madison
line 20 - Samuel, age 10, f, Madison
line 21 - Nancy, age 8, f, Madison
line 22 - Lucinda, age 3, f, Madison
line 23 - Sarah, age 89, f, VA
• Census, 20 Jun 1860, , Madison, Kentucky, USA. 7
Richmond, Madison County, KY., 20 Jun 1860, page 5, Lines 32-39
line 32 - James H. Berry, age 57, m, Post Master, Madison Co
line 33 - Mary E., age 31, f, Madison Co
line 34 - Susan M., age 23, f, common school teacher, Madison Co
line 35 - William G., age 22, m, farm laborer, Madison Co
line 36 - Samuel H, age 19, m, farm laborer, Madison Co
line 37 - Nancy J., age 17, f, Madison Co
line 38 - Lucinda N., age 13, f, Madison Co
line 39 - Charles E., age 8, m, Madison Co
• Census, 1870, , Madison, Kentucky, USA. 8
1870 United States Federal Census
about James T Berry [James H.]
Name: James T Berry
Birth Year: abt 1803
Age in 1870: 67
Home in 1870: Glade, Madison, Kentucky
Value of real estate: View image
Post Office: Kingston
Household Members: Name Age
James T Berry 67
Mary Berry 40
Susan Berry 34
Nancy Berry 24
Lucy Berry 20
Charles Berry 18
Susan Foster 14
Robt Turner 10
Source Citation: Year: 1870; Census Place: Glade, Madison, Kentucky; Roll M593_484; Page: 136A; Image: 279; Family History Library Film: 545983.
• Census, 8 Jun 1880, Elliston, Madison, Kentucky, USA. 9
1880 United States Federal Census
Name: Charley Berry
Home in 1880: Elliston, Madison, Kentucky
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1852
Relation to Head of Household: Self (Head)
Father's birthplace: Kentucky
Mother's birthplace: Kentucky
Marital Status: Single
House Number: 13631477
line 41 - dwel 174, family 185, Berry Charley, w, m, age 28, farmer, s, KY, KY, KY
line 42 - Mary, w, f, age 50, sister, keeping house, s, KY, KY, KY
line 43 - Susan, w, f, age 44, sister, at home, s, KY, KY, KY
line 44 - Harris Betsy, w, f, age 80, boarder, at home, w, KY, VA, VA*
*[Betsy Harris 80 [may be Elizabeth (Berry) Harris, wife of Christopher Harris, and sister of James H. Berry Jr, Charles' father. Nativity (VA, VA) confirms James H. Berry and Sarah Grubbs were from VA.]
Source Citation: Year: 1880; Census Place: Elliston, Madison, Kentucky; Roll T9_431; Family History Film: 1254431; Page: 449.4000; Enumeration District: 74; Image: 0211.
• Census, 1900, Kingston, Madison, Kentucky, USA. 10
1900 United States Federal Census
about Mary E Berry
Name: Mary E Berry
Home in 1900: Kingston, Madison, Kentucky
Birth Date: May 1830
Relationship to Head of House: SisterInLaw
Father's Birthplace: Kentucky
Mother's Birthplace: Kentucky
Marital Status: Single
Residence : Magisterial District 5, Yates, Kingston Precincts, Madison, Kentucky
Occupation: View on Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
William H West 52
Lucy W West 52
Tommie B West 17
William C West 15
Mary E Berry 70 sister-in-law [Mary Elizabeth Berry]
Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Kingston, Madison, Kentucky; Roll T623_541; Page: 16B; Enumeration District: 48.
• Biography, 1907, Brassfield, Madison, Kentucky, USA. 11 ****** page 717
As furnished by Miss Mary Elizabeth (Lizzie) Berry, (daughter of James H. Berry, and Emily S. Fox. his wife) of Speedwell Madison County, Kentucky. William Grubbs and wife. Susan Hearne, came to Kentucky from Albemarle County. Virginia, about the year 1775, and made claim to land. He died in a few days after he came to Kentucky, and was buried at Bryan's Station. After his death his wife and ten children came to Madison County.
"Sarah Grubbs, daughter of William and Susan Hearne Grubbs, married James Berry.
Her mother's maiden name was Hearne.
Her only brother was:'
Higgason Grubbs, who married Lucy Harris, of Albemarle County, Virginia.
1. Elizabeth Grubbs, who married Christopher Harris, a preacher.
2. Nancy Grubbs, who married Robert Harris, brother of the above Christopher Harris.
3. Mollie Grubbs, married Robert Moore.
4. Susan Grubbs, married John Moore.
5. Annie Grubbs, married Squire Boone, Baptist preacher.
(Court records show "Nancy Grubbs" married William Boone, August 16. 1789.)
6. Lucy Grubbs, married Thomas Gooch.
7. Hennie Grubbs, married Andrew Ray (Rea).
8. Fannie Grubbs, married Joshua Barton.
Daughters of Sarah Grubbs Berry (and husband, James Berry):
1. Annie Berry, married Thomas Turner.
2. Nancy Berry, married Edwin Berry.
3 Susan Berry, married Samuel Parrish.
4. Elizabeth Berry, married Christopher Harris.
(See Part 3, Chapter 28.)
Her sons:5. William Berry, died single.
6. James H. Berry, married Emily S. Fox.
(Children of James H. Berry and Emily S. Fox his wife:)
1. Mary Elizabeth Berry, single.
2. James Thomas Berry, married Elizabeth daughter of Isaac Hill.
Mr. Berry is now Deputy Assessor of Madison County, Ky., which position he has filled at intervals for the last forty years or more, and is now a canidate for the office of assessor.
3. Susan Berry, died a number of years ago.
4. Nannie Berry, married James M. Hendren, late Justice of the peace of the County, now a merchant at Speedwell.
6. George Berry, died several years ago.
James Berry, (the pioneer) was a son of Thomas Berry, and his wife (I think a Bocock, don't know for sure.) James Berry, had two brothers, Garret, and Thomas. Don't know who either married. Also two sisters:
**********next page 718
Bettie Berry, married -- Frazier.
Pattie Berry, died single.
Children of Higgason Grubbs and Lucy Harris:
1. William Grubbs, married __________
2. John Grubbs, married Miss Lucy Gooch.
(He married four or five times.)
3. Thomas Grubbs, married Katie Howard.
4. James Grubbs, married Nancy Oldham.
(See Part VI, Chapter 33 .)
5. Jesse Grubbs, married Nancy Oldham.
(See Part VI, Chapter 36)
6. Lucy Grubbs, married ------ Barnes.
(Parents of the late Colonel Sidney M. Barnes, of the Federal Army in the -Civil war, who resided at \\\\tab Irvine. Ky.. and Thomas H. Barnes, formerly Clerk of the Madison County Court, one of the very best of \\\\tab scribes, well remembered by many of the old residents of -the County.)
These are all I know. there may have been more.
The aforesaid J. Thomas Berry. past 76 years of age, very active, and now Deputy Assessor, says his grandparents. James and Sarah Berry, were in the fort on Shallow Ford Creek, and William Berry, their oldest child, was born in said fort some time in 1783. Said fort was established on the farm now owned by Jacob S. White. His father. James H. Berry, was born December 6, 1802. and died July 2. 1879. Nineteen years between his birth and that of his oldest brother. William, who died on Shallow Ford within a mile and a half of the place of his birth, in the fall of 1857. His grand¬father, James Bern was wounded in the thigh in the battle of Little Mountain 'with Wyandotte Indians, in which his captain. James Estill, was killed, and Mr. Berry was carried off the battle¬field on the back of the slave negro Monk. William Watts Moore, who died a few months ago. Pass 94 years of age, was a son of Reuben Moore and Nancy Watts, his wife, and a grandson of one of the Moores who married Miss Grubbs above stated, sister to Sarah Berry. Joseph Warren 'Moore, who married Margaret Frances Harris (See Part III. Chap. 3) was a brother to Wm. W. Moore
• Death, 30 May 1915, Brassfield, Madison, Kentucky, USA. 4 Daughter of James H. Berry and Emily Fox, and provided family history information for Miller's History of Madison Co.
Birth, Marriage & Death > Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953 > Madison > 1915, cert 18604 of 1928
Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
about Mary Elizabeth Berry
Name: Mary Elizabeth Berry
Death Date: 30 May 1915
Death Location: Brassfield, Madison
Residence Location: Madison
Birth Date: 16 Sep 1828
Birth Location: Madison, Kentucky
Father's Name: James H Berry
Father's Birth Location: Madison, Kentucky
Mother's Name: Emily S Fox
Mother's Birth Location: Madison, Kentucky
informant: J. H. Hendren [nephew], of Speedwell, Madison, KY.
Ancestry.com. Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2007. Original data: